What Is St Marguerite D’Youville The Patron Saint Of?

What did St Marguerite d’Youville do?

D’Youville was the founder of the Sisters of Charity of the Hôpital Général de Montréal, also known as the Grey Nuns. She was the first Canadian-born saint, canonized by Pope John Paul II in 1990. St Marguerite d’Youville, the foundress of the Sisters of Charity, was the first candidate for sainthood born in Canada.

Why is Marguerite d’Youville a saint?

Marguerite died in 1771 after a life-long service to those in need. Pope John XXIII beatified Marguerite on May 3, 1959 and called her “Mother of Universal Charity” and she was then canonized in 1990. She is the first native-born Canadian to be elevated to sainthood by the Roman Catholic Church.

Where was Saint Marguerite d’Youville born?

Marguerite Bourgeoys, founder of the Congrégation de Notre-Dame de Montréal (b at Troyes, France 17 Apr 1620; d at Montréal, Qué 12 Jan 1700; canonized 31 Oct 1982). She sailed for Canada in 1653 and in 1658 opened a girls’ school in a stable on Montréal Island.

What was Marguerite Bourgeoys job?

Marie-Marguerite d’Youville had six children: Timothée (1723-1723), Joseph-François (1724-1778), Ursule (1725-1726), Marie-Louise (1727-1727), Charles-Marie-Magdeleine (1729-1790) and Ignace (1731-1731). The two sons who survived to adulthood became priests.

Is Marie Marguerite d’Youville married?

On August 12, 1722, at Notre-Dame Basilica in Montreal, she married François d’Youville, a bootlegger who sold liquor illegally to Indigenous Peoples in exchange for furs and who frequently left home for long periods for parts unknown. Despite this, the couple eventually had six children before François died in 1730.

You might be interested:  Readers ask: What Was Saint Thomas The Patron Saint Of?

In what year did D’Youville receive its charter and open its doors?

D’Youville Partners with West Buffalo Charter School Located a short distance from the college campus at 113 Lafayette Avenue, in the renovated former Lafayette Hospital, it opened its doors on August 13, 2012.